Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

using sea foam/brakes/timingbelt

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 PM

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>ok got a "SO FAR" decent used 1995 v6 3.2L isuzu rodeo with 108494 miles on it, (unknown about previous owner maitenence) other than normal wear and tear on the suspensionand looseness in the steeringwhich is quite noticable the truck seems like it might lasta good while. transmission seems strong. engine seems strong too. did a carfax and everything checked out good, no accidents indicated. by police reports, has stayed in central florida region since new.

I'veseenon this forum about using sea foam to clean out the sludge buildup/carbon. can there be any harm in using this in the engine the "recomended" way I've seen posted on this forum with a vehicle with this high mileage? I've heard people say not to use synthetic oils in vehicles with high mileage because it may mess up engine seals and MAY cause leakage. any truth to that? is there any possibilty of that happening using sea foam? will using the sea foam possibly help with the "ticking" noise coming from the engine? I see it's a pretty typical thing with this suv.

also what type of oil do you recomend for this suv with the mileage it has.

Breaks seem fine but looking into changing the break pads if neededsince i have time off.is changing break pads on this suv a big task or pretty typical as to other vehicles? I've changed jeeps, toyotas, nissan.

also not sure about the timing belt is it a belt or chain? and what would be a aprox.reasonable cost of changing the timing belt/water pumpthru a local car shop? and what else should be changed out while installation of new timing belt?

thanks for any help and info on keepin this suv going for awhile mostly using to tow a 16' boat not a daily driving vehicle

&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-44"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: alanrush2004

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Synthetic oil wont mess up the seals. What typically happens is over time sludge builds up in front of seals and gaskets which prevents them from getting proper lube and they will dry out/wear. Since synthetic is a better cleaning oil it eventually removes the build up of sludge but since the seals and gaskets have dried/worn they dont seal as well. Thats when the leaks show up. Its always a gamble when switching to synthetic, sometimes you get a leak, sometimes you dont. Seafoam can cause the same thing since it is a cleaner. Personally I prefer to take the risk and get my engine as clean as possible inside. It can also help clean the hydraulic lift adjusters on the valves. Though those usually are inherently noisy. Mitsubishi had the same type of design and I just learned to live with it when I had my Mighty Max. As for oil, I know alot of ppl run Shell Rotella diesel oil in their isuzus. It has better cleaning properties then regular car oil. I've been running mobile 1 in mine but getting ready to switch to valvoline synthetic.

Brake pads are pretty straight forward, pretty much the same as any other vehicle.

Timing is done via belt. Normally the belt, water pump, and belt tensioner are done at the same time. Usually the pump or tensioner will go bad before the belt does. Some ppl also have the front crank main seal and cam shaft seals done at the same time. Costs I've seen posted online are around $500-800 range to have it done.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM

hey thanks for the reply , you answered everything I was wondering about. I'm going to go ahead and try the rotella oil, and the sea foam. hope all goes well. and have the timing belt changed out.

by the way is my isuzu the interferance or non interference type engine if the timing belt breaks while driving? that may be the only thing that keeps me from doing it or not doing it in the near future. thanks.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM

All the 3.2s are non-interferance. Though the SOHC engines are closer tolerance then the '98+ DOHC engines.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>