Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Okay newbie here, I just picked up a 94 rodeo 5spd with 195k on the clock. So far it seems to run pretty good. The exterior is in fairly good shape with very little rust. The interior was severely neglected but nothing I cant handle granted I got it for 500 bucks. It shifts smooth and 4wd works well in hi and lo. My only concern so far is the noisy valve train. (lifters ticking I think) I will do sea foam and egr clean out in the very near future. I will also have to do some exhaust repair which may or may not quiet some of the noise. It was also low on coolant when I picked it up but there was no evidence of leakage and the oil was not contaminated although it was dirty which I suspect has probably led to the valve train noise due to poor maintenance and the oil issues I have already read about along with the door and window issues. In spite of this I will be trying to bring this beast back. So what else should I look out for? Happy so far? thanks.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:04 PM

At that age and mileage the rubber bushings for suspension parts are probably long past shot. Rear leaf spring bushings seem to be the first to go. I wont even consider changing front upper or lower control arm bushings myself, they are a real bi**h to do. I paid someone to do my lower ones which cost about what you paid for your truck and was told they wont do isuzu bushings again LOL. I'm getting ready to pay someone else to do uppers. Pretty common for radiators to be plugged at that age as well, especially if it was neglected. If you see anything odd about the temps it runs, that could be it. Otherwise I would just think normal wear items that could be wearing out at that mileage. Mechanically the drivetrain should go many more miles. If the timing belt and water pump hasnt been changed they are long over due.

As far as engine oil you should look at using Shell Rotella 5w40. Its a diesel oil which has more cleaning agents then regular auto oil. Alot of ppl run it in their isuzus to clean things up and keep it clean.
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanks, radiator seems ok, no sludge or build up that I can see. It runs normal temp. It does have some squeeks up front which may be the bushing related thing you mentioned. I looked in the oil filler cap and the engine oil does seem to be varnished a bit on the heads and rockers and such and it holds low oil pressure at idle. But holds good pressure under load. Hopefully repeated seafoaming and use of the shell diesel oil will help this over time. It is a V6 by the way. I hope to get at least another 50k out of it~! Is this possible? Thanks again! Keep em' coming.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM

As long as you keep up on maintenance once you get it all done and watch the oil so it doesnt run out you should definatly get 50k out if easily.< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-44";
urchinTracker();
</>