Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

Timing belt Marks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM

Hi All

I've got the new water pump in and have a new timing belt (and tensioner - good idea Gizmo) in hand.

I'm trying to line up the timing marks to put the belt on.

None of the marks lined up, but the old belt hadn't broken and it was running fine.

Lined up the crankshaft marks and backed it off 1/8 turn as per book. Lined up passenger side camshaft pulley with timing mark and it's right on the mark. Drivers side cam pulley will not spring onto the mark as I rotate it. Turned it more than 9 times and it just won't go even close to the mark.

What it does line up with is a small punched line on the back plate to the pulley. This is the only mark on either side and the pulley springs to it every time. It is not the mark indicated in the book as the timing mark. Is this punched line the correct mark ???

Thanks in advance
Doug

Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM

problem solved[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Glad you got it, apparently the cams can be a pain to get lines up. I've never done one on an isuzu.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Actually it sounds pretty easy. I called a shop and was told how to do it.

Line up passengers side sprocket, belt and timing marks. On drivers side install belt with its mark aligned with the sprocket (while the sprocket is sitting with its timing mark 'before' the engine mark; which is at the fake mark mentioned above). Using a 14mm socket on a breaker bar rotate the sprocket clockwise until the marks align with the timing mark on the engine and hold it there. Align marks and install belt on crankshaft. Ease the load off the breaker bar so everything settles into place. Check all marks and adjust as needed. May need to "walk" belt around crank pulley.

Doug

Edited by: Doug I