Rodeo Talk about Isuzu Rodeo related topics here...

burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 PM

i have a 96 rodeo that burns oil real bad the inside of the exhaust is black and i have to replace th oil every few weeks i had a tune up i don't what else to do

Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 PM

That can be difficult to take care of once it starts. Clean the EGR valve and tube inside the intake (clean it at least once a year), make sure the pcv valve is clean and working properly. Use oil with a good cleaning package such as shell rotella diesel oil or mobile 1. Do sea foam treatments (more on this in a bit) or auto rx treatments.

The main cause for oil burning in 3.2l isuzus is that they only used 3-4 holes in the pistons for oil drain back and they are smaller then usual. Also the oil rings are smaller then usual. That makes them easy to plug up and once that happens the oil has no way to drain back and ends up burning off. Dirty egr systems seem to have a big effect on this.

For seafoam treatments most ppl just pour 1/2 a bottle in the oil and run the engine for about 1/2 hr before oil changes. Since yours is already plugged up I would suggest removing the spark plugs and pouring a bit into the cylinders. Let it soak overnight, crank the engine a few seconds to pump out any remaining then reinstall the plugs. pour 1/2 bottle into the engine, run the engine for a bit then change oil. Some ppl also suck seafoam into the intake through a vacuum hose a little at a time to clean the upper engine parts.

This may not immediately have an effect but over time it should help clean things out. Do a search on planetisuzoo.com for this topic and you will find tons of posts along with more info on curing it.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:54 AM

can i mix full synthetic with synthetic blend oil will it hurt my engine Edited by: IsuzuKid

Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 PM

It will not hurt the engine, but why? If you fallow Gizmos instructions to clean the oil back holes, in time you wont be burning much oil. I would just choose one or the other.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM

i gonna try to switch to full synthetic would i have to change myoil or could i just start running full synthetic with what is alreayd in the motor

Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 PM

I would just change it out. The full syn. is a good choice if you don't mind the extra $. It has a higher flash point so in high heat engines it will not burn off as quickly. It also has a few other posative things going for it, but you can do a search and get the low down on syn. Alot will argue against saying it is not worth the extra on a standerd daily driving engine and dyno oil is just as usefull. But if you can give your engine better than why not.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM

In response to the original question, it is normal for the Isuzu engines to burn oil but it depends. I was told from the dealer that manufacture specs says it is normal to go through a (1) quart of oil for every 1,000 miles driven. If you're going through more than that, then I would be concerned but I make it a habit to check my oil at least once a month to make sure I don't run out.

I did read one forum that the person put Seafoam directly into the oil, drove it around for about 30 minutes and changed the oil right afterwards. He claimed that it eliminated the burning of the oil entirely so I tried it and it never made any difference. Although, I could tell it cleaned the inside of the engine out but I would not recommend doing it very often since it's probably hard on the seals, etc.Edited by: DK420KDH

Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM

I do the seafoam thing before every oil change as do many other ppl and have had no problems. Mine burns 1qt or less per 3k miles. Keeping every thing clean is key. Once it starts burning oil its difficult to get it stopped again and can take a while but it can be done.
Edited by: Gizmo42

Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 PM

I burn 1qt every 3k. I do not run sea foam as often as Gizmo does, and I can see your concerns on the seals, but a clean engine is a happy engine. Run the foam every thirdoil change,and change to a synthetic oil that will not burn a quickly. From the sounds of it you are burning large amounts of oil not just 1qt everry 1k miles.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:58 PM

Hey, while we're at it, does anyone know someone who might be interested in a drop lift kit from Thailand for a 97 or older Isuzu. If you do, can you pass the word on...I would appreciate it.