General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Oil in air intake tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 AM

On the way home my 99 Rodeo lost power for just a second and blew out a cloud of smoke, so I decided to change plugs and filters and oil, while removing air intake tube I realized there was oil in it and the throttle body, so I know what is making it smoke(oil in the air intake running into the engine) but I dont know why its doing it, or how to fix it, it is getting in there through a smaller tube that runs straight into the valve cover, I removed the smaller hose and started it up and sure enough it was sputtering out oil, not a lot at once but I stuck half of a paper cup under the hole where the tube goes while it was running and in about 4 or 5 minutes ther was about 2 teaspoons of oil in the cup, is there supposed to be oil coming from there, is it supposed to have a pcv valve on it or what, after idling for a while I drove it and a lot of smoke rolled out the exhaust, the seconcd time I drove it it just had a hint of smoke coming from it. What do I do to fix it? Edited by: dcurtis

Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 AM

That tube takes air down to the valve covers to aid in cooling. It could be a # of problems. Are you comfortableworking on your own engine?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:21 PM

yeah, oh and I forgot to say it is the 4 cylinder rodeo, not the 6Edited by: dcurtis

Old 09-23-2007, 12:36 PM

On the 4cyl engines I believe the tube you ae talking about is a emissions hose, but there is also a coolant hose in the area. If it is the emissions tube it will be used to take gasses that have not been burned back through the intaketo finish burning it. Have you changed your air filter? The system uses the vacume created by the intake coming through the manifold to such those fumes out. If your filter is blocked up the manifold will still produce the vaume affect to get oxegen and the force of that may be what is pulling oil through the hose.

On the other hand it could be the cooling hose for the valves, and there is oil on the valves that I am not sure what would bring that up the hose. But Im thinking it is your emissions hose. Ispect the intake and make sure there is nothing blocking the air flow.

Let us know what you find, so we can look into it deeper. Be very detailed on what the setup is.