Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

engine reving on cold start

Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM

I am the original owner of a 2000 Trooper that's been trouble free except for the tranny I had replaced at 65k under warranty. I now have 100k and there is one lingering issue I cant seem to fugure out. When I start up in the morning, I get an extended revving noise for about a long second just as the engine turns over. sounds like I have my foot on the gas while turning the key but I don't. The car starts and runs fine but it's been doing this for the last 7 months and I'm afraid it could be an indication that something is wrong or going to break. Happens in cold and hot weather. Could this be the Bendix drive not disengaging in time? I had the starter replaced but the noise is still there on start-up. Any ideas anyone?

Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 PM

hey dino, im having the exact same issue.. nothing seems to be wrong
though.. it just does this when i start for the first time each day.. i have an
01 with 70K... what is the bendix drive?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:52 AM

I believeBendix Drive is a gear assembly that conects the stater to the crankshaft. I'm not a mechanic but my father in-law is and he guessed that this is what it could be. When you start your car, a pinion engages a ring gear which turns tha crankshaft. after engine starts, the pinion is supossed to release from the ring gear to prevent the engine from back-driving the starter motor. Both the shopthat replaced my starter and the dealer say that it's probably not the bendix drive basedon my verbal description of the problem. The dealer charges$80 to do a diagnosis. He thinks it could be software related. Apparenty the truck has a number of start-up programs it uses at different times in the day. This determines how much fuel is injected during start-up and isbased on temperature and other conditions. He suggests that I wait until something breaks before haveing them look at it betting on the fact that if I break down, it will most likely be at home in the morning.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM

thanks! guess i wont worry about it too much...

Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM

JesLaf.

Since you are the only other person I know who seams to have this problem, please let me know if it develops into something else. I'll do the same.

-dino