Trooper Talk about Isuzu Trooper related topics here...

Sometime electric power sometimes not

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Hi all. First post here and its a long one sorry [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

I have a 1990 v6 manual. I have a recent electrical problem that has me totally confused.

Over the last month or so after I drive about 30 miles the truck will not start again for about 20 min. Starter right? Well there is more.. Sometimes when I go to start it I have NO power at all NOTHING. At first I was just waiting and then everything was ok started upfine. One day out of frustration I tapped on the fuseable link housing by the battery. This restored power immediately after this sometimes it would start right up others I still have had to wait.

This weekend it got worse I went around the block after the truck had been sitting all day and it did it again. No power to anything this time after power returned when I tried to start it, it was as though the battery was low but it was not 12.60 is what it read. So I caught it in gear and it started fine drove it around the block to the house.

Left it go for the night cause it was 106 degrees and I was already pissed. Next morning I go to start it..NOTHING NO power nothing. I tapped the the link wiggled the wires checked connections and could not get power back as I was able to do before doing the same things. Finally I took apart the wire plug that goes directly to the battery cleaned it out (factory white grease) put it back together and got power..I think I also wiggled the fuse link housing also but not sure. anyway I go to start it and just got a..um like a click? and all power went out again. Now I'm not sure it was a click like a starter click but as if something had tripped like a reset button or a relay? I did this several times (3) with the same results no I cannot get anything at all NO power no nothing. I am completely stumped. I checked the fuses their ok, battery still at 12.60V or so.

I had a fuse link go out several years ago and it killed all power but I jumped the same one this time and still get nothing. Could the housing for those links be bad?doesn't it just house a metal bar that makes the connections to the plug ins? what could be wrongwith that? Also I have a worthless Chilton's manual and tried to find out which is the starter relay but could not fined it. It sound as though this could be what is tripping when I try to start it. I think I may have 2 problems the starter and the NO electrical.

If someone could help me get my electrical back up for I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help I have no other way to get to work tomorrow

J.P.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM

Anyone know it this guy got it fixed , sounds a lot like the problems I am having

Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Electrical theory must be understood first:
modern vehicles sometime have separate circuits for ground and power or load.
locate your chassis ground locations and clean them make certain all your ground busses are securly connected at these chassis locations first:
do short circuit test with the IGN OFF remove the neg side cable and watch for sarks when touched to the terminal if indiacted by sparks a short exists.....>>>>>remove each fuse until the shorted condition stops indicating by display of spark between the neg cable and the bat post when that spark stops you have found you shorted system and now can begine isolating the individual components that are shorted together.note it usually takes at least 2 circits to short between as one will just shut off and only display after reset.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:11 AM

More useless nonsense...