Amigo Talk about Isuzu Amigo related topics here...

soft top and weather stripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM

I am looking to buy a new soft top for my 98. Anyone have one or got a good place to buy a good quality one

I also need the weather stripping that goes across the top where the soft top seals to the truck

Iam having a hard time finding it

The dealer wanted $140 for it

Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM

I haven''t replaced my softtop yet, but I should. Been looking at the ones on Ebay, but I''m a bit gun shy as I want to make sure the quality is there. I recall another poster way back when said it he took his top to the upholsterer and they replaced the plexi windows with new ones, but they sewed the new ones in place. He said it was well done and was cheaper than replacing it, which is why he went that route. Not sure how practical and weather proof it ended up being, but I guess that''s one option. Can''t help you with sourcing the weatherstripping. You may no choice, but the dealer. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 AM

well I ordered a new top off Ebay yesterday for 350 (with tinted windows and shipping)

I will post here again when I get it to tell you how it looks

Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 PM

Yeh, please report back with your thought on your new top. I would really be interested as mine could stand replacing. If the ones on Ebay are good, then I may go that route too.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:23 PM

well after taking about 3 weeks to get ...

I am very disapointed, compaired to the new top it is not the same. i think it would be okay if I lived in a warmer part of theU.S. but, I live in Iowa and with the very cold and snowy winters I needed the same type of material, as the one I got of E-Bay (EZ TOPs) was about half the thickness of material that is on the Amigo now! [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

I have motorcycle chaps that have thicker leather thanthe topdid.

After more research I was told to go to "best tops" they were the ones that had the contract to make the Amigo soft tops. After getting a material swatch from them I was disapointed again they sent me the same material. so now I am looking at a local shop that said they can fix what I have, replace the (plastic) windows and fix the zippers luckly i don''t have any holes in the top

I guess we will see how it turns out, it might be a few weeks till that gets done and I will post again.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Hi Mike,

That really sucks man. Then you would''vethought Bestops would''ve had good material too, but apparently not. ...This leads me to believethat once production of a car stops, all the manufacturers who provide replacement parts continue to make parts, but use lesser grade materials and pay less attention to the details. Since they won''t be providing the parts in the high volume as they did when the car was in production,it is no longer cost effective toproduce high grade materialsand parts. But they are available if you''re willing to pay the high prices they go for.

I''m in the same boat, where my top is still operable, but the windows are so scratched up that you can''t see thru them. And if I remove the zippered windows, it''s a bitch to zipper them back on.

Yeh, so I for one would appreciate a report back from you as to your final out come. It would be cool too if you could share some before and after photos.

Thanks for sharin.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM

well I got the top back I had a leather and vinyl shop replace the windows and restitch some of the stuff that was falling off

It came out GREAT. it cost me $340 but ithink it was worth it

It has also been raining the last 3 days so I will hopefully get a pic of it this weekend and get it posted next week

Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing a photo of your new top. ...So what kind of shop did you take your top too? Was it a furniture upholstery shop? Awning shop? Or?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 AM

hello guys.. i just bought a 99 Amigo as my winter/daily car.. I need to replace the soft top and bought from ebay last night.. I wish i could have read this thread prior my order.. but i read the reviews of the seller and they seem to good quality ones.. bought from Diamond Mall : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/isuzu...99-00-01-02-co nvertible-top-roof-NEW_W0QQitemZ220303679445QQcmdZViewItem?h ash=item220303679445&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3 A1%7C65%3A 12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

will post back when i receive.. hopefully it''s good quality..

Old 11-02-2008, 12:40 PM

Yo jstar,

Yeh, let us know us know how you like your top. Not sure if it''s the same as the one Mike got, but if you could let us know how the material compares to you original top material, I would appreciate it. I''m up in Northern California, where it''s not as drastic as some parts of the country, but I do occassional hit the snow and my current top seems to hold up pretty well in regards to being durable and keeping the elements out. However, I think anything of lesser quality would be a concern.

Mike,

How you doing on photos of your reborn top? I would be curious to see closeups on your window stitching? And did your leather and vinyl shop provide the window material that they used?

Quick Reply: soft top and weather stripping